Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Southern Livin

I love the south....ok, specifically, the "deep south." Kinda funny how not too long ago I wanted nothing but to leave my Sweet Home (Alabama). I was bored of it...or so I thought. Back in 2000, the wife and I moved up to Louisville, KY for seminary. Why KY? Well, to us folk here in the deep south, that was northern livin'. No, really, I thought we were movin up north. Come to find out, it wasn't quite the north...but not quite the south either. What made it not quite the south was the fact that there are restaurants there that DO NOT serve sweet tea. What a crime! My conclusion of Louisville, KY, was it is just about as far north as one can go but it still be the south (let's say...82.79% southern).

I suppose growing up on 2 acres, surrounded by cotton fields, 2 neighbors, dove hunting and fishing...I always wanted to go see the "big lights." Wanted to get away. Having lived in a few semi-big cities now, I better understand the appeal of the slow south. We are lovin' Cartersville, GA. The appeal? Well, you are still country living, but close enough to the action. I like being close to a big city like Atlanta...especially with young children...lots to do and see and visit. 7 years ago, my opinion would have been completely different. Couldn't wait to leave. Now, despite that I'm not a hunter, or big fisherman, or a mud riding addict...I still love it here.

Ministry: Yeah, I think in some ways it is harder to witness in the south. After all, everyone here is a "Christian." (Simply means you grew up near a church or someone in your family was on staff at a church or you "walked the isle" when you were 1.5 years old.) Perhaps that has been the main appeal over the last 20 years or so to plant churches in Seattle, California, etc. In certain places like that, you have a 90% unchurched people group...most who have NEVER been associated with church at all. In may be "easier" to share Christ with people of that kind of background because there is no wading through Christianese talk...their blunt with you...nope, don't believe it, don't need it, next! (I realize these are general, broad statements.)

So, despite a few frustrations every now and then...I don't think I would trade my good ole south. And by the way West Coast and North...it is true...we DO have the best college football down here. Sorry, you will never understand until you experience it every Fall. Well, gotta run, time to go fight ATL traffic.

My Home's in Alabama,
no matter where I lay my head
My home's in Alabama,
Southern born and Southern bred
- Alabama

0 comments: