Sunday, November 11, 2007

Chinese Gourmet Philosophy

Me and the Fam hung out at Panda Express tonight and enjoyed a little rice (I go with the plain white steamed rice) and chicken and veggies. And, as any person, I fully anticipated the end of the meal when you get to break into the fortune cookie to read something so life changing and challenging and inspiring and important to your future...(sarcastic enough for you?).

But, tonight, I actually enjoyed reading my "fortune". And odd enough, I like what it said and I think it sums up how I often view life/work/education/faith. Here it is:

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.

Yeah, real profound, huh? Ha. But seriously, I like this summary. In fact, If I could somehow revolutionize our education system, this is where I would begin. Hands on. More time out of the classroom. Application application. Doing. Learning because you are doing.

And when I think about life lessons, and faith in action, and learning on the job, this fits. Things click more at work and you are often more productive when you are shown something and then in turn, apply it over and over and learn it on the spot. Who doesn't prefer that over a 1/2 day conference with chex mix and strong coffee? (Not that there aren't times for training seminars.)

And when do most of the milemarkers in our faith journey occur? Yeah: mission trips and local service projects. Doing. (Once again, it's a balance though, right? Discipleship and personal Bible study and prayer and accountability are vital.) But the "ah-ha" moments - the times that transform us and help us understand our beliefs and solidify our faith - often come when our hands and feet are dirty.

0 comments: