Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Free 411

I often use 1-800-FREE411. Yeah, I know, I hear ya - you gotta listen to the advertisements...but still, it's free! Beats paying 2 bucks for using directory assistance through your cell phone company.

So last night I was trying to find the number for Las Palmas, a Mexican Restaurant in Cartersville. Typically I have to repeat myself several times to the automated system. Sometimes it just kicks me to the operator. Often it's simple words too, like "Target" or "Walmart". So, you know the drill:

City and State Please
Did you say?
Ok, government, business, or personal listing?
Would you like to search by name?
Ok, say the name
Did you say?
Ok, let's try again, just say the name...
Did you say?
Ok, let's try again.....

I'm sure you've been there too. A little frustrating. Well, I say all of that to say this: Last night, I knew going into the phone call that I had maybe a 10% chance of it recognizing me saying Las Palmas. I mean, after all, I apparently can't say Target right. So, being the goofy individual that I am, I decided to say "Las Palmas" with the most exaggerated, over the top, loudest, fakest Hispanic accent I could conjure up. "Laaaaasssss Pahhhhhlmaahhhhssss!!!!" And wouldn't you know it, yep, first time. "Did you say Las Palmas Mexican Restaurant?....The number you requested is..."

Ah, good ole USA.

Maybe I missed some kind of calling: Redneck dude who speakka no Spannich but has killer fake accent. Hmmmm...wonder what I could do with that?

1 comments:

Alex F said...

You telling me you don't use Google SMS to find that stuff. Type in Las Palmas followed by your zip code. Send SMS to 46645 (GOOGL). You'll get a txt back with info.

Or type "Weather" and your zip.

Etc.