Friday, May 30, 2008

Sausage Biscuits and The Call of God

We need to be careful. The Call of God on someone's life, to go do a specific thing, should never be reduced to a formula. It can't be minimized to any certain, similar set of circumstances. Why do I bring this up? Well, I just think here in the Bible Belt, especially, we have been known to (either intentionally or unintentionally) say, "THIS is what it looks like to be called in to the ministry"...or "THIS is what you must do next." Now, over the past 10 or so years, I think we've had less of that. And I think that change is good.

The specific call to ministry looks very different for many people. If you pulled 10 people in the same room, you should hear 10 unique stories. Don't get me wrong, there will be similar parts of each story. But how each individual arrived at knowing they were supposed to do f/t ministry will be (should be) unique.

God's timing amazes me. For starters, it's rarely our timing. I knew in college that I wanted to do f/t ministry. In His providence, He placed me around amazing followers of Christ that lived and breathed ministry. One of the simple ways (among many others) that I knew I would be in f/t ministry is the fact that I could rarely ever read Scripture without imagining how I would present it...thinking of illustrations....getting so fired up over a passage and thinking, "I HAVE TO go tell everybody about this. This is rich! They gotta hear."

But the road and process of getting in to a f/t ministry position was not want I had originally planned. It was longer than I expected. It was more confusing than I expected. It was doing something that I never expected - working with kids (and loving it!).

Bonus #1: Everyone is called to do ministry. Some are specifically called "in to" ministry, to lead and serve the church. But, EVERYBODY is called to minister.
Bonus #2: About the sausage biscuits...umm...yeah, I just like em. That's all.

0 comments: