Thursday, August 07, 2008

Thank You! (100 times over)

First day back at school for Bartow County. First day in Kindergarten for my 5 yr old...first day in 1st grade for my 7 yr old. The past 48 hours have been great. Two events have renewed my love and appreciation for teachers. First, yesterday another staff dude (Anthony) and myself took some chicken biscuits and OJ out to a local elementary school. It was just a quick way to say THANKS...we know you are here...we appreciate you...we want to be able to help in any way possible...we are praying for you......

The 2nd event was the open house at my kid's school on Tuesday night. Chatting with other parents and teachers and school officials stirred something inside me (I don't think it was the Rockstar I drank). I'm just praying like crazy that God would allow us, Oak Leaf, to do HUGE things with schools. Yeah, we are still a young church plant. Yeah, we have limited resources. But I think it's possible to show our appreciation and partner with schools and teachers in real, tangible, creative ways.

So, teachers: On your first day back today - please know you are APPRECIATED! Thanks 100 times over for investing in our kids. And while complaints will start flying around shortly...facilities too old, public this, private this, budget shortage on this and that, not enough room, etc...on this first day back let me say that you are SUPPORTED. There's tons of parents in this community that give a rip and want to help - A LOT.

So my challenge to myself and to every parent is this: get involved, say thanks to the teachers every week, make a difference...and if there's something you don't like about the school you're sending your kids to, then help change it.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. :-)
Have a great first day everyone!

0 comments: