Friday, August 17, 2007

family+friends=very cool weekend

We have friends and family coming in town this weekend. A little birthday celebration for my only daughter, Kinley. I was looking through some old pictures the other day and was reminded just how important family is. (Given, though, that most family is very strange and should be highly medicated...ha.) I reminisced about the days when we would ALWAYS go down the road to my cousin's house, or my grandmother's house....or some family member's pad...to celebrate someone's birthday. Actually, we didn't even need a birthday excuse to get together. We used to gather for fish fries. (These gatherings included home made icecream, hand crank style.) We used to gather.....JUST to gather. I miss those days sometimes.

What I love most about family and what I love most about friends from my hometown or childhood or my past - THEY KNOW ME. We always pick up wherever we left off. And they keep you grounded. As Dana and I have floated from KY to GA and have signed on for new adventures along the way - ministries and careers and everything under the moon - these vitally important people remind us of who we REALLY are and keep us grounded. They also pray for us like nobody's business. (That's an unusual phrase.)

So I'm looking forward to rocking NorthWest Georgia this weekend. Will be taking everyone to the SonFest in Woodstock, GA. (Hint: Free admission, free inflatables for kids to jump on, great music.)

Afterthought: Yes, I even love the Bama fans in my family...God bless their soul. :-)

0 comments: