Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I like the visitor section

I've attended many sporting events. Mostly Auburn, of course. On multiple occasions I've sat near the visitor section. Usually, at first, I'm not all that excited about my seat. After all, I want to be close to the action - the student section. They stand the whole time. They are the loudest. Most of the energy comes from this section.

But I started thinking more about my past experiences sitting near the visitor section and I've concluded that I enjoy it. Why? Well, I like to see their reaction. I want to know if they are enjoying themselves. (OK, and truth be known....maybe I want to rub it in if we are pounding them. Just kidding, sorta.) But take Auburn for instance. When I sit near the visitor section I can see their reaction to the band marching around the field. I can watch their eyes light up when the eagle hovers over 90,000 people and lands in the middle of the field. I can see how they respond to the pre-game video and the players rushing the field through the tunnel.

Now, obviously, I don't quite expect them to convert. After all, they are there to support THEIR team. Most could care less about our wonderful traditions. To me, though, it's AUsome. It's in my blood. I'm screaming on the inside: "Look at this! It doesn't get any better than this! Incredible! Don't you want to become an Auburn fan as well?!"

Now here's the stretch (where I stretch this - far as it may be - into a spiritual application): I think it's OK to use this as a way of illustrating how we need to be around spiritual visitors - both to our home and our church. When we have a guest in our church, maybe someone we personally invited, it matters, doesn't it? We want to know if they are having a good time. We want to see their reaction to the message being preached and the songs being sung (or sanged or sunged or...just kidding). We want to know if God is reaching them like HE did us! We want them to COME AND SEE what the Lord is doing. Come and experience a great movement. And in our homes - we want them to know of God's sustaining power, that can hold a family together. We want them to experience Christ's love, poured out through us.

So my conclusion is this: If I can like the visitor section of Jordan-Hare Stadium....how much more should I love the visitor section of my home and church and workplace? If I can be excited about silly man made traditions (though AUsome they may be) that support a college and its team....than how much more excited should I be over spiritual, eternal, life changing decisions being made on a daily basis?

1 comments:

KTP said...

yes yes, I agree.