Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bank Fees

Sold our van yesterday. The guy who bought it had the money wired into my account before picking it up. Very smooth transaction. Then today I'm checking out my account on-line when I notice a "miscellaneous fee" of $15. Now, before I tell the rest of the story, realize I've had no quams with my bank. I bank at Wachovia and so far, they've been excellent. Great customer service and an ATM every 2 feet.

So I call up cust serv and get a rep on the phone. The guy explains to me that with all "domestic wires" occurring between Wachovia and another banking institution, a $15 wire fee will be charged. Baffled, I asked for further explanation, saying, "You mean to tell me that when someone wants to put money in MY account...I sold the vehicle, I am the one RECEIVING money, not transferring it out...I have to pay a fee?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!"

Long story short, Wachovia refunded me the fifteen bucks...not because it wasn't a legitimate fee...but b/c the day of the sale I had spoken with someone at a local branch and they "failed to inform" me of the fee.

I'm not going to jump on the hate Wachovia train, but dude, that's absurd. A guy I work with passionately calls Wachovia - "Walk All Over You".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what you are saying is that you had to threaten them to a cage match using your new found wrestling skills, in order for you to keep money that was yours to begin with.

Anonymous said...

maybe the $15 fee was a because the money was received from "down by the river"

Jonathan Sutton said...

You both are right.