Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Help Us Help You

When churches put on community events, it seems the motive can fall on one of two sides. (Realize I'm talking about block parties, a booth at a town function, music on the square, etc. I'm not speaking of community service...like a canned food drive or teaming up with a battered women's shelter or picking up trash along the highway. The motive is obvious there.) First, you have the "here's a cool event we are putting on for you and we think you will like it and we are doing this because we think you will like it...and, that's about it, enjoy!" event. Yeah, I know, try fitting that on your signs around town. But seriously, this motive is a no strings attached approach. Sure, in the big picture of things, the church probably has a bigger reason than just doing an event. I'm sure it's thought out and strategic to their goals of outreach. But, it's ok to just provide a night of fun for kids or something cool for adults or whatever...and let them know you did it b/c you care and just want them to know you are - HERE - you're their neighbor and you just wanted to say hello.

(Warning, plug coming) And that's kind of what we are doing with Laugh Cartersville. It's a way to say hi. And a great way at that. We are bringing in a great (seriously) comedian. And, of course, he's a clean comedian. Just doing a quick event in downtown. Just doing something that we don't see a whole lot of in our small town...providing good, cheap entertainment for families who get tired of driving to ATL for stuff like this. (And for those tempted to shout at me, "Well, that's not the mission of the church...to entertain"...I know it's not, so relax...not trying to say it is.)

And then, well, you have motive number 2. I've seen this kind of community event quite a bit lately. And right off the bat let me say this is not a bad reason to hold an event. Just saying I'm not sure it is serving your purposes best. What is it? Well, it's what I call the "Help Us Help You" campaign. It's when churches do community events and somewhere you see a disclaimer that reads, "All proceeds go toward helping us build our new building." Once again, that's OK. Believe me, being part a church plant, I know about having no money. But something just doesn't sit with me well when I see that. To me, it somewhat devalues the very thing you are there to do. In fact, to take it one step further, maybe churches should never charge for any event they ever put on. If you can't do it free, then don't do it. Yeah, I know, dream world. I just think it's way cooler when you can give something for free and say you are doing it to just see a kid smile or offer something relevant to a family, etc. In my brain (scary place), I compute the disclaimer as, "Give me 10 bucks so I can build a gym that will be ready in 2.5 years from now and if you get our flyer in the mail about our new gym, come check it out." Believe me, I know this is stretching it. But maybe I'm so hesitate to ever take this road b/c I know what unchurched people say about churches always asking for money. Well, for that matter, what churched people say about churches always asking for money. They say they're always asking! (Not going to touch this right now though, different post for different time.)

So, conclusion. I think motive one is better. Just has a better ring to it. A better feel to it. Genuine. (Or maybe I should find out how much cash some of these churches made from their events!) Just kidding. (Or maybe I should start helpushelpyou.com.....all man, just checked, it's taken...argh.) Obviously just kidding.

Whatcha think? Ever had this observation before?

0 comments: