Monday, August 28, 2006

Energizer

definition: a person or thing that energizes

Attention all high school / college kids. I have some relieving news for you. You can now stop over-thinking what you will do with the rest of your life. The systems we have in place often do not help you with career decisions. In fact, they almost always complicate the matter. Hey, take all the "field placement" or "career path" tests you want, knock yourself out. Attend every seminar and listen to every boring speaker that comes to your gymnasium or campus. I guess they couldn't hurt.

Or, wrap your mind around one simple question. One question that can help guide you in making those tough decisions. What energizes you?

That's right, it's that simple. What event/activity/cause energizes you? What thing is it that when you do this one thing you are: a. good at it, b. love it, and c. it turns you into a 2 yr old who's had 5 bowls of sugary cereal!! Now, don't fret if you are still clueless about your passions in life. That'll come soon enough. If nothing else, college is great for that. To me, college was SOOOO much more than receiving a piece of paper (a.k.a. degree). Social skills and...well, just LIFE skills are often sharpened there. And personally for me, it's the environment that God used to radically change my life - showing me what a relationship with Jesus is all about.

Ok, back to point. I was discussing this with a friend the other day. I had finished doing some ministry stuff -- like talking to some people and preparing some stuff for a Sunday morning service -- and it was the most hyper I had been all week. Why? Cause that is what energizes me! I couldn't get enough of it.

I could go on forever, breaking this down...but just know this: Don't overcomplicate it! What gives you energy? What is your energizer?

(i paid money for one of those career placement tests one time...it told me I was destined to be a bus driver.)

0 comments: