Monday, April 09, 2007

Hockey and Pancake Battered Shrimp

What a great weekend. It started by having a Good Friday...fixing my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith. Saturday, I took off work to be with family and do some landscaping. The day included t-ball practice in Alaska-like weather. Seriously, what's up with it being in the 20's in April???!!! After t-ball we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant in C'ville, El Nopal. When the guy brought the food to the table, he was warning the kids, "Hot Plate, Hot Plate." My 5 yr old Braden didn't quite understand him so he turns to me and says, "Dad, that's Spanish for 'the plate is hot.'" Dana and I just looked at each other and starting laughing. I was trying to contain myself in case the guy heard Braden and was embarrassed...but dude, that's just funny stuff right there.

After making 4 trips to Lowe's that afternoon (around the house projects always end up costing too much $), I cleaned up and got ready to attend my first Pro Hockey game. I met my younger brother Justin off of exit 255 on I-75. If you are not familiar with exit 255 off of I-75, then I have sympathy for you...you poor unfortunate soul. Exit 255 is home to The OK Cafe. If you like southern eating (and don't mind spending $11 for blue plate special)...then you MUST stop by there and experience one of the best places around ATL to eat. I've only been twice but I will now make it a requirement of any out of town guests that come stay with us to eat at this fine establishment. My brother Justin ordered the Pancake Battered Shrimp....weird, yes, tasty, YES.

After filling up on turnip greens and fresh corn, we drove down a few exits to see the Atlanta Thrashers finish out their regular season. They had wrapped up the division the previous night, so the game had a celebration feel to it. Overall, I was quite impressed with everything there. They certainly know how to keep you entertained between periods and during breaks. And I was definitely surprised at how the crowd stayed in the game...even when the Thrashers were down 2-0 to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Did I mention I had free tickets? But forget the multi media stuff and the chants we heard from the cheap seats (where we were) or all the observations I had with it being my first game...there was a HOCKEY game being played on the ice. The Thrashers came back from being down 2, tied it up and sent it to overtime. Nobody scored in overtime so it went to a shootout. It was still not decided after 3 shots each, so it went to a sudden death shootout. FINALLY, the Thrashers pulled it out...but only after a 10 minute break b/c one dude shot the puck so hard it went THROUGH the glass. Fortunately it did not hit anyone.

And yesterday at the Leaf was awesome. Tons of new faces, getting to work with kids and talk to them about Easter and about Honor (the lesson yesterday), and the guest worship leader Jason from Westridge Church was incredible.

Now it's time to take care of Dana, who has strep throat. What? You think we can go a whole month without someone getting sick? Yeah right.

0 comments: