Friday, December 15, 2006

Finishing Strong

In the Christian life, it's not how you start that matters. It's how you finish.
I was recently given the book Finishing Strong by Steve Farrar. I'm only 22 pages in, but I like this statement. It's true. He talks about 2 ministers who started around the time of Billy Graham and had great success, but neither finished in ministry. On this topic, I've heard the casualty rate for ministers is 90%. In other words, only 10% who start in ministry will finish in ministry. This statement speaks to that, but it also speaks to anyone who claims to follow Christ. I know many, including myself, that need to be reminded of this. Forget the past. You can't change it. Don't be stuck in regret or failings or missed opportunities. Stay the course. Trust in Him. Change today and tomorrow. (Ok, not trying to be some cheesy motivational dork here.) But, it's true. It is how you finish. Be encouraged. "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phil. 3:13b-14

0 comments: