Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just Ask

I listened to Andy Stanley the other day and his message, "We Had A Dream". Click HERE and go to 1/13/08 message. Part the message was the realization that him and other staff members came to when it comes to inviting people to church. He realized that he would often say, "Hey, you ought to come some time." He concluded that something like that doesn't really count as a true invitation. A true invitation is, "Will you please come to church with me this Sunday at 11am?" I know my brief blurb on it doesn't do the message justice, but it was a good challenge for those of us hoping to get neighbors and friends to come with us. Great challenge.

And so today I was speaking with an 85 year old lady in TX (part of my work) and 10 minutes into the conversation she began talking about her involvement in her church and the importance of her faith. Quickly, she invited me to her church this Sunday. I had to explain to her that I was hundreds of miles away in Georgia, but that I greatly appreciated her invitation.

So the challenge is quite simple, eh? Who are you inviting to church this weekend? You know who they are you know you've never directly asked them...so take a deep breath and walk across the hall or pick up the phone and knock it out.

One more thing: If you feel that you can't take them to your church, if you would be embarrassed to bring them in....then find a new church. :-) (I mean that in the nicest way possible.) :-)

2 comments:

KTP said...

will you come to Freedom Church with me This Sunday at 10:30 am at N. Metro Tech?

Jonathan Sutton said...

If there are free refreshments, count me in. (I'm a sucker for sugary donuts.)