Friday, February 01, 2008

Front Porch Light



Every morning, while taking my 6 year old to school, I pass by a house that ALWAYS has their front porch light on. I began observing this several weeks ago and I thought a ton about it this morning. I'm curious. I want to know why it's on. And this morning, in between pumping my body full of caffeine and chatting with my son, I started thinking about front porch lights.

Some of them are on because the homeowner forgot to turn it off.
Some of them are on because a Mother is still waiting for a child to come home. (Some have been waiting for years.)
Some are on to show support for our troops.
Some are on during an October evening as an indicator that candy is inside.
Some are on because they want your business. PROOF
Some are on because an abusive spouse has a restraining order against them and the light provides extra security.
And some are just on to show off a well painted porch and high dollar landscape.

1 comments:

The Canada's said...

Some are left on in MI to keep the house vandals away at night... I love my neighborhood. We need Mr. Rogers back.