Friday, February 15, 2008

Hardened

Business can harden you. Life can harden you.

I've noticed something that I don't like. (A little confession time here for ya.) Business can harden you...as it has me at times...to the point where you are not compassionate towards others. I don't think I'm alone in this. I think many people (especially guys) struggle with this. We are so driven in our work, and so desire to succeed and to accomplish our goals. And in the middle of our dealings with co-workers, managers, assistants, bosses, partners, etc, the drive towards success makes us forget that we are dealing with people. Here's what I'm getting at: You can be a nice guy, yet still have lost compassion for people. In the midst of leading people and pushing them towards your vision, you can forget to truly care about them. I've done it before...will probably do it again. I don't like it.

If you lose it with a co-worker, or if you vent about someone behind their back (once again, guilty)...it doesn't gel with the Holy Spirit. And as soon as you've done it, you have this overwhelming thought: What am I doing? I gave up all rights of revenge when I committed my life to Him. Jesus says to pray for those who would do you harm. I'm a goob.

So my challenge to myself and to others: BE COMPASSIONATE. Remember that God is full of kindness and grace...and mercy that endures forever. Be the same. Go beyond just being a nice co-worker - truly care about others and don't allow your work to harden you toward those that need to be blessed.

1 comments:

KTP said...

if only our work could make us physically hard. All those donuts are making me flabby!