Sunday, February 17, 2008

Under New Management

I passed by a local shop recently that had the typical "Under New Management" sign displayed out front. A number of questions arose:

* How effective are those signs? Does it really help draw people in?
* I'm always very curious, what happened? A family dispute? Does cousin Vinny now own it?
* Besides new management, what have you done to improve your service/product? If it was a bad burger before, it will be a bad burger now...just a different person overseeing the crew. Probably more important than telling me there's a new Sheriff in town, tell me what has changed, what has improved?

After rattling those questions around the ole noggin, I then thought about how it would be a good title for a sermon series - maybe a stand alone message. As a follower of Christ, prior to trusting Him, I ran the show. I seemingly had good control over everything and thought calling all the shots was how it was supposed to be. Well, come to find out, you don't want to go down that path. Instead, both at the time of conversion and now a daily symbolic thing: we give over management; we hang the sign out front; we say to God, You're running the show now. I give up my title as manager.

0 comments: