Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Thanks...i think

I was calling around today, looking for a specific prop for our Kid's Check-In Area. This one dude answers my call and was cordial and seemed to want to help. But toward the end of our 30 second conversation, he dropped the sugar coated bomb on me. "Yeah, sorry I don't have one of those...wish I could help...but I'll keep you in the back of my mind and call you if something comes up."

Perhaps it was a slip. Or perhaps it's just a common statement used in our society and he decided to pull it out of the ole brain. Whatever the case, I think I'm going to be careful to never use this phrase. Essentially want you are telling someone is, "Uh, yeah, sure...I'll file that away - WAY AWAY - in the far depths of my mind...somewhere around the trash bin." I don't think the guy really meant anything by it, but it was a great reminder that we need to choose our words carefully. Keep me in the back of your mind? Uh, yeah, thanks....I think. In other words, what you are saying is there is a fat chance I will ever hear from you again. Make that 100% chance that you are not calling me back, right?

This particular situation brought to mind other topics: sugarcoating, being blunt, how to be straightforward yet graceful,...I will blog later about those. Right now, they are in the back of my mind. :-)

Bonus: I just thought of THIS song.
Good lyrics.

0 comments: