Thursday, June 21, 2007

Are You Sitting Down?

I love that phrase...well, sometimes. When I am asked that question, I know the news I'm about to receive is very very newsworthy. It's going to be severe one way or the other. I'm either about to hear that a good friend just won the lottery and would like to share 1/2 of his winnings with me...or I'm going to hear that my good friend has just been diagnosed with cancer. I'm either going to hear that one of my children won a contest and will be flying to NY or that one of my kids set the back half of the house on fire and I need to rush home. I'm either going to learn that my boss is appreciative of my work and wants to offer me a raise or that our company was just bought out and they no longer need my services.

Are you sitting down...I need to tell you something...you won't believe this, but...hey, sit down, take a deep breath, you won't believe...

This phrase has been tossing around that big melon attached to my neck. I wonder how many times I actually have used this phrase when sharing something of important spiritual significance...say, in the past year or so? How many times have you? How many times have you called up a friend or told your spouse, "Sit down, you won't believe what I'm about to tell you...remember how we prayed for...or, remember how we felt lead to...or, God just showed me something amazing..."

I'm of the persuasion that if we are not having these sit down moments, then we are not living our faith as we should. (I'm sorta paraphrasing what I've been listening to from my latest audio book - see previous post.) Our following Christ is not a monotonous, boring, "religious" thing. Not at all! It should be an exciting adventure, a dangerous mission. We should have tons of "you gotta hear this" moments. It's not a safe faith. It's a weird call.

I'm determined this week, and this month, and this year, to have lots of sitting down moments. While not all will be a pleasure to endure, I still can't wait to hear the news.

Update: As soon as I posted this, I was called into a meeting here at work and given some great "sit down" news...an answer to a prayer Dana and I have had. Unbelievable timing. Lord, you are truly the Great Provider, why do I ever doubt you?! Thanks!

0 comments: