Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Contemporary Post

I'm kinda surprised as I drive around NW Georgia and see the number of churches who still have "Contemporary Service 9:15am, Traditional Service 11am". I'll keep this brief, though it would be easy to write a 10 page paper on this issue.

I understand why they do it...or at least I think I do. And I imagine for most the intent is good. They want to attract more people. They want to offer something for different age groups. They want to grow.

But here are some observations I have...for what it's worth:

* I think most do a disservice to themselves by doing this. In most churches I've been to where this is done, one (or both) of the services are mediocre. More importantly, I sense that in the "contemporary" service they are trying to be someone they are not. (Well, except for the one dude in band who plays electric guitar and he's FINALLY glad he found a spot in the church to serve.)

* Definition of contemporary: "existing, occurring, or living at the same time; belonging to the same time". In other words, RELEVANT. So, question: Does this mean your first service is relevant, "belonging to the same time", and your second service is not? Not trying to be cruel, just seriously asking.

* Sometimes I think churches have offered both services because it is a "keeping up with the Jones' ".

* I haven't done the research, but are there vibrant growing churches who do both services like this? From what I see, the most exploding, talked about, tangible result churches out there are the Northpoint's, Willow Creek's, etc. And maybe I'm just too country boy simple minded...but dig this: You know who they are. They are who they are. They do things the way they feel God has gifted them to them. They have a target audience (and for most it is the LOST...should be for everyone). They do what they do and don't pretend to be someone they are not.

Ok, enough for now. Time to do something very traditional: Get to work!

p.s. Best time of the year is quickly approaching. For a brief taste, see this Countdown Clock.

0 comments: