Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Southern Talk

So since my kids have been mostly raised in the South (I don't necessarily consider Louisville, KY the true South...but close), I've noticed something recently that I consider disturbing. They SOUND like they live in the South! Now before you jump on my case, hear me out. I like the South. I enjoy living here. I think it's "ok" to have a southern accent. But man oh man----my kids are sounding....(gulp) REALLY country! Somehow I managed to spend the first 22 years of my life in Alabama and NOT talk like a redneck. But dude, my kids are talkin' really really southern.

So do I embrace this? Is it wasted effort to fight against it? Is this their destiny? Or do I save up money so I can take them on trips to NY, Michigan, California...do I send them to camps out of state so they can be influenced by non-southern-speaking folk? Or am I worrying about nothing? I mean, Jeff Foxworthy has proven you can have an extremely successful career while speaking our beloved southern dialect.

I suppose for now I'll just worry about them enjoying VBS this week. (And not getting in to trouble and having to sit out...like one of mine did yesterday.)

0 comments: