Thursday, June 28, 2007

Dear Homeless Friend

Sorry for the awkwardness last night. Well, maybe it was just me. Maybe I was the only one feeling uneasy. I saw you looking at me while I was sitting at the redlight. Yeah, you're right. I think I did what most everyone does....I stared straight ahead, praying the light would turn green - like now! - and then when I realized it would be awhile, I drummed up a conversation with someone in the car so I would look busy and not have a chance to roll down my window and give you money...or, even more basic, have to look at you.

By the way, I was quite surprised. I knew there were homeless people in downtown Atlanta, but I had no idea you had hundreds of friends. As I drove through the downtown streets, I was shocked to see 25 people sleeping on church steps...or a group of 10 over here...a group of 3 over there...hundreds scattered about.

Let me also apologize. You see, I've made the same excuses as many of my friends. In my head I've said things like, "God helps those who help themselves." Yeah, you're right. This is our way of avoiding you. It's much easier to focus on YOU and YOUR problem and what YOU need to DO to fix it. Or, worst yet, we talk...and talk a lot...about what got you there in the first place. Drugs, alcohol, more alcohol, bad decision making. We talk a lot about it. We talk. We talk. And we talk some more. Forgive us for not DOING.

I have another confession my homeless friend. I couldn't shake the idea of just how much MORE could be done to help you. Here I was surrounded by thousands of people leaving an Atlanta Braves game, sitting in traffic...in our nice cars, who just sat in nice stadium seats, in nice weather, nice food...and we have our worries...like how can we fit that new boat or new mountain home in our budget. I must confess that when I do the math, it would only take pennies a day from each of us to purchase or build something magnificent FOR YOU...a place to help you in your recovery...and still have plenty of money to provide you with counseling or whatever you need to get you back on your feet.

Worst yet, my homeless friend, I belong to a group of people who have vowed to DO that very thing. Yet I'm not sure...no, wait, I AM SURE we have NOT lived up to our professions. So forgive us. We've too often left it in the government's hands to "fix the problem". Another confession: Instead of using our buildings as a safe haven for you and your family, we are more concerned about the color of our carpet, or whether the organ should stay or go, or whether we should give pastor so-and-so one more year or not (by the way, he's our 5th pastor in the last 7 years). I'm not trying to discount the valiant efforts of all those who have offered you a warm plate of food, or shelter, or have given you money, or an act of kindness. We have many many organizations and programs...lots of "programs"...but my heart is burdened with the knowledge that OVERNIGHT we could do SO MUCH MORE.

So sorry for the awkwardness. Next time (which will be soon...I vow to be changed) I will not look away or disregard your stares. I will talk to you. I will do what I must to break the years of bad habits that separates us and makes me think that I can do nothing...or that we have nothing in common. I'll try to do what I've vowed to do: To consider you more important than myself.

By the way, what's your name?

0 comments: